Behind the times...
I have volunteered to write a journal for The Work of Art and already I have fallen behind on my task. It is much more difficult than I imagined to sit down after rehearsals and write in this blog, so I have decided to do some writing during my breaks during the night. It comes in pretty handy for your character to skip town during the middle of a play's action... at least in the case of having to write journal entries.
Just as I knew they would, things are going at a breakneck pace. The nivos (the portable risers set up for the audience) are already being set up. With the last Dillard show that I was in, we all felt like the play could open after two weeks of rehearsal. This time will be different only due to the fact that we'll have part of our set actually constructed.
Characters are slowly beginning to get fleshed out. We're all still in our experimental stages in character development, trying new things out. We have Dr. Dillard there to pull us back if we're being too broad, but so far he's still wanting more from all of us. Once we started working the show last night, I finally came to realization that I will have to be very dedicated to pull this character off. Dr. Dillard said that my entrance has to sell my character on the spot. I will have to find some deeper meaning into my first scene before I can command the stage. I feel like once I get a hand on some Russian history text, I'll be able to see where Sasha is coming from, and truly bring what the director wants to the stage. It doesn't help matters that I've never been into politics whatsoever, so I don't have that passion that Sasha so desperately needs at this point.
The rest of the cast seems to be taking their first steps to honing in on their respective characters. Kris still gets us with her "Poles?" line every night. It seems like a majority of the jokes are now falling flat, pushed aside for the purpose of defining character. The comedic timing is something that I know will come later, and I know that some of the scenes are going to have better pacing. Still, even at the sluggish pace we were traveling at, the show is quick. A Quick-Change play. A new scene starts by the time you even realise it. I'm going to be getting a little aerobic workout during my first two scenes. I exit stage right and enter stage left after climbing whatever will be connecting Boris's office to the ground carrying some sort of old lighting mechanism. One thing I can say about this semester's plays: I can't think of a better form of exercise.
Just as I knew they would, things are going at a breakneck pace. The nivos (the portable risers set up for the audience) are already being set up. With the last Dillard show that I was in, we all felt like the play could open after two weeks of rehearsal. This time will be different only due to the fact that we'll have part of our set actually constructed.
Characters are slowly beginning to get fleshed out. We're all still in our experimental stages in character development, trying new things out. We have Dr. Dillard there to pull us back if we're being too broad, but so far he's still wanting more from all of us. Once we started working the show last night, I finally came to realization that I will have to be very dedicated to pull this character off. Dr. Dillard said that my entrance has to sell my character on the spot. I will have to find some deeper meaning into my first scene before I can command the stage. I feel like once I get a hand on some Russian history text, I'll be able to see where Sasha is coming from, and truly bring what the director wants to the stage. It doesn't help matters that I've never been into politics whatsoever, so I don't have that passion that Sasha so desperately needs at this point.
The rest of the cast seems to be taking their first steps to honing in on their respective characters. Kris still gets us with her "Poles?" line every night. It seems like a majority of the jokes are now falling flat, pushed aside for the purpose of defining character. The comedic timing is something that I know will come later, and I know that some of the scenes are going to have better pacing. Still, even at the sluggish pace we were traveling at, the show is quick. A Quick-Change play. A new scene starts by the time you even realise it. I'm going to be getting a little aerobic workout during my first two scenes. I exit stage right and enter stage left after climbing whatever will be connecting Boris's office to the ground carrying some sort of old lighting mechanism. One thing I can say about this semester's plays: I can't think of a better form of exercise.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home