Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Did we have a break yet?

This was definitely one of those rehearsals where it felt like we were getting a lot accomplished. I got so caught up in everything we were doing and worrying about my character that I completely lost track of what we as actors at a rehearsal had actually done. As it neared nine o'clock I was sure we had already had a break, but I didn't remember one. We've been having a break around 8:15-8:30 during each rehearsal, but it turns out that we didn't break until around 9:30. This was the first rehearsal that lasted until after 10 PM, too.

How do I feel things are going? I saw a lot of good things happen tonight. I saw some genuine connection between characters/actors. The scenes with Marya and Lena get better and better. Ryan has developed Boris into even more of a sleazeball. Brad continues to play around with Nickolai and still cracks me up. Dr. Seibert is almost completely off book. With my character? Things are moving slowly. I have noticed that I have a tendency to be rather monotonous in the delivery of lines. I'm working on vocal variety, striving to make Sasha and interesting character. What I'm coming up with right now I feel will cause the audience to be rather annoyed with me rather than root for me when I come back at the end of the play to save Nina (so to speak).

Dr. Dillard's notes have been just as specific as they are vague. I can really sense that he has the faith in me (or why would he have cast me in this role), but I'd really like to find that place where he wants me to go soon, as to not disappoint him. That's my biggest fear as an actor--acceptance from the director. Vindication. I want the director to sit back and think "Yeah, I really did the right thing casting this guy."

So for now, I'm to work on making things bigger. I feel like I'm getting more passionate about my character's feelings (and that can only get clearer as rehearsals progress), but I need to own the stage--something I don't think I ever do in plays. Susan Lingelbach can own a stage. Annie Scanlon can own a stage. I remember being in Breaking the Code last year and being in awe every time Susan made her first entrance several scenes into the play. She has definite stage presence. You can feel this whole change in the room--a force that draws you in and makes you want to listen. I hope to attain that kind of power someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home