One Day More
I know it's pretty cheesy that I used a musical reference as the title to this entry, but it fit all right?
I'm having similar feelings with this show as I did with Breaking the Code back in the day (last year)... By the time we open tomorrow night, the actors shouldn't have any excuse to screw up. We've done so many solid run-throughs of the show. Not all productions are like this one. Some productions don't have a full run through until Final Dress Rehearsal... I've been in a good share of those types of productions. They all end up turning out fine in the end, but the two Dillard shows I have been a part of are in a different caliber.
Dr. Dillard always has such small, exclusive casts for his shows. When you're cast in his show, you feel honored. You want to prove to him--and to the audience that will ultimately see you--that you deserved to be in the show. A majority of the audience won't really go that deep into the process, but as a large majority of the audience at UNR shows are other theatre students who also auditioned for the roles, there is a feeling of wanting to prove yourself to them.
I seriously hope I can do that this time around.
Sasha has proven to be such a difficult character for me... Maybe because he feels so much like myself. I hope I don't have to give up on my dreams in the way that Sasha did (although he does seem better for it in the end... I do wear some pretty spiffy clothes). When you're acting, it's always so much easier when you have some tick to your character... something that makes them stand out. I never discovered what makes Sasha stand out, and maybe that's why I feel so disappointed by my characterization of him. Accents are an easy way to fake acting ability apparently, because every character I've done with an accent has delivered a much bigger response from an audience. The most over-the-top characterI ever played had people coming up to me to say how they never knew I could act until then. It's a little upsetting.
It would have been interesting to have tried Quick Change with Russian dialect, but consistency is a big problem with learning accents.. I bet our cast could have done it. Every one of them is tremendously talented.
When the lights come up at the end of night tonight, it will be our last "practice." Tomorrow night we'll have our audience. We'll have laughs to hold for (hopefully). The simple addition of an audience can completely change a play. What happens tomorrow may be something that none of us in the cast or crew has ever seen.
It will be exciting.
I'm having similar feelings with this show as I did with Breaking the Code back in the day (last year)... By the time we open tomorrow night, the actors shouldn't have any excuse to screw up. We've done so many solid run-throughs of the show. Not all productions are like this one. Some productions don't have a full run through until Final Dress Rehearsal... I've been in a good share of those types of productions. They all end up turning out fine in the end, but the two Dillard shows I have been a part of are in a different caliber.
Dr. Dillard always has such small, exclusive casts for his shows. When you're cast in his show, you feel honored. You want to prove to him--and to the audience that will ultimately see you--that you deserved to be in the show. A majority of the audience won't really go that deep into the process, but as a large majority of the audience at UNR shows are other theatre students who also auditioned for the roles, there is a feeling of wanting to prove yourself to them.
I seriously hope I can do that this time around.
Sasha has proven to be such a difficult character for me... Maybe because he feels so much like myself. I hope I don't have to give up on my dreams in the way that Sasha did (although he does seem better for it in the end... I do wear some pretty spiffy clothes). When you're acting, it's always so much easier when you have some tick to your character... something that makes them stand out. I never discovered what makes Sasha stand out, and maybe that's why I feel so disappointed by my characterization of him. Accents are an easy way to fake acting ability apparently, because every character I've done with an accent has delivered a much bigger response from an audience. The most over-the-top characterI ever played had people coming up to me to say how they never knew I could act until then. It's a little upsetting.
It would have been interesting to have tried Quick Change with Russian dialect, but consistency is a big problem with learning accents.. I bet our cast could have done it. Every one of them is tremendously talented.
When the lights come up at the end of night tonight, it will be our last "practice." Tomorrow night we'll have our audience. We'll have laughs to hold for (hopefully). The simple addition of an audience can completely change a play. What happens tomorrow may be something that none of us in the cast or crew has ever seen.
It will be exciting.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home