Itchin'
You know how I know this is what I want to do in my life? When I'm not doing it, I'm an absolute wreck. Even if I never make millions, thousands, or even hundreds doing stage, television, or film work, I'm still going to go out there and act.
It's a little disappointing always getting the small parts, but it's also fun trying to make your part the most memorable of the show. When I did THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS a year and a half ago, I was an ensemble member. By the time the show opened, I ended up getting a small speaking part, CJ, local businessman. I had a couple of scenes and a handful of lines. When the review came out for the show, out of our rather large cast, I was among about 7 people who were singled out from the performance. That made me feel good.
I have people telling me how I stand out on stage, most especially in musicals. I was a lot of people's favorite part of JUST SO, apparently. And when people randomly break into songs from that show, it's usually one of my three songs that get sung. For FOOTLOOSE, a friend told me that their mother said that she enjoyed the "little guy" in the Mama Says group. That'd be me. My mom always tells me that I really come alive on stage, so she's finally accepted that acting is something I just gotta do.
Right now it's been over a month since I've been on stage, and it's killing me. BAT BOY rehearsals start in less than a week. I'll be a much happier guy after January 10, let me tell you.
The last big theatre break I had was 4 months (the summer break after graduation and before I was cast in QUICK CHANGE ROOM)... before that it was somewhere around 7 months. Being a theatre student helped me with my penned up inner actor. There was always something to do for classes and my last year at UNR I was in every mainstage show. My first semester at UNR was something else.
I had just started acting (despite wanting to do it professionally since I was about 8) in the spring of 2000 in a play called "Play On!" that was part of a class at WNCC in Fallon. A couple months after this, me and a few other people started up a community theatre in Fallon. I participated in all of their shows: A showcase at the Cantaloupe Festival in August, Honeymoon at Graveside Manor in October, The Miser in the spring, Balcony Scene in the summer, and Parted on Her Wedding Morn, or More to Be Pitied Than Scorned for Labor Day Weekend. That last show conflicted with the UNR auditions, so I was theatre-less for about 7 months maybe... the second semester I auditioned and was called back but not cast for the shows. I ended up throwing myself headfirst at the end of the Spring 2002 semester. The last couple weeks of school I was in How I Learned to Drive, Broadway Bound (a selection from the full play), Death on a Non-Stop Flight, and did a scene from Proof for my THTR 118 class where I was one of the leads.
I really like acting.
It's a little disappointing always getting the small parts, but it's also fun trying to make your part the most memorable of the show. When I did THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS a year and a half ago, I was an ensemble member. By the time the show opened, I ended up getting a small speaking part, CJ, local businessman. I had a couple of scenes and a handful of lines. When the review came out for the show, out of our rather large cast, I was among about 7 people who were singled out from the performance. That made me feel good.
I have people telling me how I stand out on stage, most especially in musicals. I was a lot of people's favorite part of JUST SO, apparently. And when people randomly break into songs from that show, it's usually one of my three songs that get sung. For FOOTLOOSE, a friend told me that their mother said that she enjoyed the "little guy" in the Mama Says group. That'd be me. My mom always tells me that I really come alive on stage, so she's finally accepted that acting is something I just gotta do.
Right now it's been over a month since I've been on stage, and it's killing me. BAT BOY rehearsals start in less than a week. I'll be a much happier guy after January 10, let me tell you.
The last big theatre break I had was 4 months (the summer break after graduation and before I was cast in QUICK CHANGE ROOM)... before that it was somewhere around 7 months. Being a theatre student helped me with my penned up inner actor. There was always something to do for classes and my last year at UNR I was in every mainstage show. My first semester at UNR was something else.
I had just started acting (despite wanting to do it professionally since I was about 8) in the spring of 2000 in a play called "Play On!" that was part of a class at WNCC in Fallon. A couple months after this, me and a few other people started up a community theatre in Fallon. I participated in all of their shows: A showcase at the Cantaloupe Festival in August, Honeymoon at Graveside Manor in October, The Miser in the spring, Balcony Scene in the summer, and Parted on Her Wedding Morn, or More to Be Pitied Than Scorned for Labor Day Weekend. That last show conflicted with the UNR auditions, so I was theatre-less for about 7 months maybe... the second semester I auditioned and was called back but not cast for the shows. I ended up throwing myself headfirst at the end of the Spring 2002 semester. The last couple weeks of school I was in How I Learned to Drive, Broadway Bound (a selection from the full play), Death on a Non-Stop Flight, and did a scene from Proof for my THTR 118 class where I was one of the leads.
I really like acting.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home