Playing Catch Up w/ "Bat Boy"
Now that Reno is slowly revealing itself from under the several feet of snow we received in the last couple of weeks, BAT BOY rehearsals have commenced... albeit 2 days behind schedule.
So how was my first TMCC rehearsal? Very different. There are so many people in the cast, and to have us all there was probably a nightmare for the director, musical director and choreographer. No one seemed to want to shut up. We're all excited, I guess.. not to mention that we have to start the task of getting to know who everyone is. I haven't worked with any of these people save Cecil from JUST SO, Donald from FOOTLOOSE, and Ben from THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS.
When I was first auditioning for the show I said to myself that if I didn't get cast as Edgar/Bat Boy, I would want to be the guy who sings the opening lines of "Hold Me, Bat Boy" at the beginning of the show. Last night the first thing we did was split up. Five of us were sent upstairs to work with the musical director on something, and the rest of the ensemble worked on "Another Dead Cow" choreography. When we got upstairs, we were told that we were going to be the core group that sang "Hold Me, Bat Boy," and low-and-behold, I was given the opening lines of the song! Needless to say, I'm ecstatic. Ted, the musical director, did warn us that the parts could be changed... so lets all hope that doesn't happen with me! I ended up singing the song about 10 times last night... we actually only got through the first half of it and we roughly blocked it. The show is coming together really fast and in a completely different manner than I'm used to, but I like the results so far.
One of my mom's cousins (I think) was really hoping to see FOOTLOOSE, but she wasn't able to. She lives in California. When I was first cast in this show, I wasn't sure if I should have my mom tell her about BAT BOY since I would only been in "Children, Children" at the end of the show. Not that I was featured in FOOTLOOSE, but I had some lines, at least... Now that I have this new part on top of my Pan song and all of the ensemble stuff... the show is shaping up to be my second most high profile musical.. not that I've been in many (this will be my fourth in 2 years... and 5th total if you count when I did the SOUND OF MUSIC concert--just selected songs from the show performed in costume with no acting involved--in Fallon when I was 9. I was Kurt.)
BAT BOY is definitely draining, though. I got home at about 11:00 P.M. I have to wake up at 5:30 A.M. for work. I go almost straight to rehearsal after work. I'll need to make up some sleep sometime :)
So how was my first TMCC rehearsal? Very different. There are so many people in the cast, and to have us all there was probably a nightmare for the director, musical director and choreographer. No one seemed to want to shut up. We're all excited, I guess.. not to mention that we have to start the task of getting to know who everyone is. I haven't worked with any of these people save Cecil from JUST SO, Donald from FOOTLOOSE, and Ben from THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS.
When I was first auditioning for the show I said to myself that if I didn't get cast as Edgar/Bat Boy, I would want to be the guy who sings the opening lines of "Hold Me, Bat Boy" at the beginning of the show. Last night the first thing we did was split up. Five of us were sent upstairs to work with the musical director on something, and the rest of the ensemble worked on "Another Dead Cow" choreography. When we got upstairs, we were told that we were going to be the core group that sang "Hold Me, Bat Boy," and low-and-behold, I was given the opening lines of the song! Needless to say, I'm ecstatic. Ted, the musical director, did warn us that the parts could be changed... so lets all hope that doesn't happen with me! I ended up singing the song about 10 times last night... we actually only got through the first half of it and we roughly blocked it. The show is coming together really fast and in a completely different manner than I'm used to, but I like the results so far.
One of my mom's cousins (I think) was really hoping to see FOOTLOOSE, but she wasn't able to. She lives in California. When I was first cast in this show, I wasn't sure if I should have my mom tell her about BAT BOY since I would only been in "Children, Children" at the end of the show. Not that I was featured in FOOTLOOSE, but I had some lines, at least... Now that I have this new part on top of my Pan song and all of the ensemble stuff... the show is shaping up to be my second most high profile musical.. not that I've been in many (this will be my fourth in 2 years... and 5th total if you count when I did the SOUND OF MUSIC concert--just selected songs from the show performed in costume with no acting involved--in Fallon when I was 9. I was Kurt.)
BAT BOY is definitely draining, though. I got home at about 11:00 P.M. I have to wake up at 5:30 A.M. for work. I go almost straight to rehearsal after work. I'll need to make up some sleep sometime :)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home