Imitating Art
As part of our rehearsal process last night, our director showed us more of the Off-Broadway production.. most of Act I.. so I've seen pretty much the entire show now. Even though it may be the worst bootleg in the existence of bootlegging, I have found myself even more in love with the show. Devin May is absolutely hilarious.
Watching Sean McCourt as Dr. Parker is really hard. In a way, I think that he doesn't do much with the role, in others I feel that he is doing everything 100% right. My run-through of my first scene in the show was greatly affected by the viewing of the bootleg--I couldn't stay in character and I was flubbing my lines left and right. My brain was working overtime to try to make things more up the standards of Sean's hilarious, and at times really low key, performance.
Donald continues to kick ass, and Christian Charity is still one of the best scenes/songs in Act I.
Tonight we run/work the rest of Act I. It's funny: I think that once my first scene of the show is over, the rest will be cake. I dread that first scene because I have a lot riding on it. I have to be convincing as a drunk and as an older guy & father figure--difficult to do when your son in the show is a foot taller than you are. (I exaggerate... but not much)
So this last part of Act I should be easy. I have a lot of dialogue, but the only songs I have are Show You a Thing or Two and Comfort and Joy, and both of those are generally easy (though I'm still a little unclear of my harmonies).
I really hope all of you reading this will come see the show (if you aren't already a part of the cast, that is)
Watching Sean McCourt as Dr. Parker is really hard. In a way, I think that he doesn't do much with the role, in others I feel that he is doing everything 100% right. My run-through of my first scene in the show was greatly affected by the viewing of the bootleg--I couldn't stay in character and I was flubbing my lines left and right. My brain was working overtime to try to make things more up the standards of Sean's hilarious, and at times really low key, performance.
Donald continues to kick ass, and Christian Charity is still one of the best scenes/songs in Act I.
Tonight we run/work the rest of Act I. It's funny: I think that once my first scene of the show is over, the rest will be cake. I dread that first scene because I have a lot riding on it. I have to be convincing as a drunk and as an older guy & father figure--difficult to do when your son in the show is a foot taller than you are. (I exaggerate... but not much)
So this last part of Act I should be easy. I have a lot of dialogue, but the only songs I have are Show You a Thing or Two and Comfort and Joy, and both of those are generally easy (though I'm still a little unclear of my harmonies).
I really hope all of you reading this will come see the show (if you aren't already a part of the cast, that is)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home