In Defense of the UNR Theatre Department
I got my email edition of the Nevada Sagebrush (UNR's newspaper) today. There was a story regarding the disbanding of the musical theatre department in today's edition that really made me want to say something. I'll be writing a letter to the editor - hopefully they'll print it.
UNR may not have the best theater department (actually, as far as classes go, it may be one of the worst), but they got a bum rap in the write-up the Sagebrush published.
The article is full of quotes addressing the department and statements about how the department refused comment... so I guess I'll respond using my knowledge of the workings of the theater department in the hopes that people will understand that the theater department isn't really the bad guy here.
I know a lot of the people that were in the musical theater department because of my involvement in FOOTLOOSE, so I hope that if they do publish my letter, it wont be taken badly by any of them. I definitely have some things to say in the defense of my department, though.
I'll post whatever I end up writing here on the blog for all to enjoy once I write it.
UNR may not have the best theater department (actually, as far as classes go, it may be one of the worst), but they got a bum rap in the write-up the Sagebrush published.
The article is full of quotes addressing the department and statements about how the department refused comment... so I guess I'll respond using my knowledge of the workings of the theater department in the hopes that people will understand that the theater department isn't really the bad guy here.
I know a lot of the people that were in the musical theater department because of my involvement in FOOTLOOSE, so I hope that if they do publish my letter, it wont be taken badly by any of them. I definitely have some things to say in the defense of my department, though.
I'll post whatever I end up writing here on the blog for all to enjoy once I write it.


5 Comments:
Hey John and co.
I'm going to burning man with Diego, and it would be awesome for anyone else to go camp with us or hangout or something! I don't do drugs so we can laugh at stoned people, check out art, maybe make some art??, and just have a great free spirited time!! is any one interested?
wow reading that back it sounds like a swinging party but really i don't mean it like that... eewwww!
lets all go get heatstroke in the desert!
nicki
bellaessa@yahoo.com
Hello my quirky little squirrel,
I mean.... Hi John!!
Sorry to keep bugging the poo out of you.... if you want to audition for something then you should go to the "sordid lives" auditions I'm not sure what it's about or where auditions are but they're tommorrow-
Wed. april 6th 7:30-9:00
it rehearses april 7 to may 18...
there's only four performances..
-that sucks my bottom-
may- 19, 20, 21,22
and it's through tmcc (and) the actors conservatory !!wow a joint effort!!!.....
I guess if your interested, maybe call Carolyn or someone. The number I have for the theatre is 789-5671.
Super!
nicki ( again!)
bellaessa@yahoo.com (again!)
You go John, you tell the Sagebrush just what's what. :o) Audition wise: Bruka is holding auditions for As Bees in Honey Drown on May 1.
In the mean time is anyone interested in going to see Macbeth on April 15? Then we'll come back to my place for cake and icecream for my birthday. Just a thought and I'll call ya'll too.
Jess
I definitely want to see Macbeth. We'll have to keep that in mind. If I don't end up seeing Macbeth on opening night, as long as I'm in town I'd definitely be up for the birthday festivities :)
Sounds great. I'll let you know for sure what I'm doing.
Jess
Post a Comment
<< Home