Hard-Hitting Thee-uh-tuh!
So, I called about the auditions for the new group and was immediately turned off by the way I was spoken to over the phone. The artistic director of this company is obviously passionate about theater, but he seems to be just about as passionate about his dislike of actors who participate in musicals, etc. Just by his tone I could tell that I didn't want to work with the guy.
He made it clear that the group would strictly be Off-Broadway or Broadway theatre.. no comedy or musicals. (Funny that he phrased it this way seeing as most everything on Broadway at the moment is musical comedy) He also made it a point to say right off that he was only interested in actors that had something to give to the stage... which is sort of cool since it would mean he wants the best of the best, but then it also seems like he wants to harbor the tortured actor.. the actor who is so caught up in himself that they must talk with that flowing dramatic accent.
I don't think that company is for me at all. I'm glad I called so I wouldn't make the mistake of going to that auditon.
He made it clear that the group would strictly be Off-Broadway or Broadway theatre.. no comedy or musicals. (Funny that he phrased it this way seeing as most everything on Broadway at the moment is musical comedy) He also made it a point to say right off that he was only interested in actors that had something to give to the stage... which is sort of cool since it would mean he wants the best of the best, but then it also seems like he wants to harbor the tortured actor.. the actor who is so caught up in himself that they must talk with that flowing dramatic accent.
I don't think that company is for me at all. I'm glad I called so I wouldn't make the mistake of going to that auditon.


3 Comments:
That man should be shot in the foot so he has to feel the pain we all feel knowing someone like that is loose in the world and in theatre.
If he wants really serious actors what is he doing in Reno???? Or Nevada at all?
go John! you rock!
don't participate in the damned anti theatre troop!
go you!
see you guys!!
nicki
Post a Comment
<< Home