Saturday, May 07, 2005

Yay for Musical Theatre!

I never was a big musical theater guy... funny considering the first things I participated in were musicals of sorts (in second grade I was in a class play called SHOWER OF HEARTS and we all sang in it.. and in 4th grade I was Kurt in The Sound Of Music in a musical review of three shows that the community choir put on) and everyone things I've been obsessed with them forever.. anyway, the reason I bring this up is that I am now a certified musical theater junky.

Thursday I got my *cough*bootlegs*cough* of Assassins, Wicked, and Bat Boy in the mail at my mom's house in Fallon. I promptly drove back to Fallon on Thursday evening to watch some of them.

Today, I randomly charged more cds to my credit card... Spamalot, Titanic, and Urinetown. Spamalot has some really funny songs. Too bad it's all sold out... I may get seats if we all sit separately. I'm wanting to see this show a lot more now.

I just saw Beauty and the Beast at Reed High School. Generally it was good. The bad thing about the show was that despite there being quite a large girls chorus, you couldn't really hear them well enough to know what they were singing.. same with all of the chorus solos. The good parts? The girl playing Belle was straight out of the movie. She sounded like the cartoon even in her dialogue. That was amusing. She had a very pleasant voice. The other great performances for me where Gaston and LeFou. Seeing the kid do LeFou makes me think that I wouldn't have a shot at the role if I ever tried out.

I'm leaving for the TMCC theater soon. Can't wait to see my Bat Boy friends!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, John....

Just relax and take another hit on the magical musical theatre pipe........


It's horrible, I know, I'm not as big of a junky as much as you are John, but I'm definitly addicted.

Beauty and the Beast!

I liked Lumiere (that guy was huge!!(also my favorite character in the movie) and the little kid was cute, The girl that played belle was crazy! I completely agree with you about her. The Beasts singig voice was amazing and definitly made up for him not being a huge guy. I also like the wolf attack parts, I thought those were pretty damned awesome.

The costumes were pretty good too. I liked them a lot. They were pretty damed good for a highschool play, even though it is Reed.

And I really liked the end when the beast was transforming into his old self. That was pretty rad. I was wondering how they were going to do that. and it wasn't dissapointing.

Thae danceing rugs were cool. even though the singing gold lame' silver wear was a little disturbing. and the guy that was the cork screw was creepy. we sat in the front row and he came out and sat on the band bariier, about a foot and a half away and just kinda sang at us... a little weird..

yeah so I'll go write all that down for my class to night... by guys... sorry for yapping your ear off..
see you later!
nic

9:14 AM  
Blogger John said...

Yeah, it was a little weird how close the cast got to me at some points. I was on house left and had the corkscrew guy in front of me during one of the numbers, too... He had a pretty good voice. From where I was sitting, you could definitely tell that there were some extremely weak singers in the cast when they were within 3 feet of me and I could barely hear them.

There was one costume that I was unable to decipher. It was a plate-looking thing, but then it had this other stuff hanging off of it.

Chip's human costume looked like something out of The King and I. And what was with the heart pattern on the dishes and cups?

The set was great, too, don't you think?

..and I guess I liked the Beast, too...

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not quite sure about those plates...either.. It was like the did a version of Alice in Wonderland a while ago and took the pattern off of the deck of cards costumes or something

and yes with the little boy costume from the king and I... but he was still adorable.

The cork screw guy was still creepy! Just admit it John!


nic

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what was that large goldish triangle-shaped dancing food object? it had frilly crap on it.

i have a rubber band around my neck

nic

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm getting close to being a musical theater junky. I think when I buy the hundred dollar ticket to go see Wicked in LA that will push me even closer. When I go to New York one day like some other people, then I will have to say I am a technical junky.
Beauty and the Beast was great for a high school production and I just wish the mics were actually working...
Nicki, why do you have a rubberband around your neck?

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home