I Heart YouTube
YouTube is a nice resource for actors. Even though companies are prohibited from recording productions, it's pretty common to find clips from community theater productions on YouTube. It's nice to see how other people pull off productions, from directing, acting, and designing standpoints. It just goes to show how many different ways you can perform the same thing.
I get a little annoyed when people copy other productions. The point of directing and designing is to make it your own. True, there are some shows that leave little room for interpretation, but there are others where you have a world of possibilities in front of you.
I love directing. Not nearly as much as I love acting, but every once in a while, I get the directing bug. Like now. I'd really like to try my hand at directing a musical. Snoopy!!! The Musical, to be exact. My trouble is that I have limited time (I'm moving to Los Angeles in September), no venue, and no production funds (musicals are expensive). I really wish I was back in school so that I could submit for a student production and get funding through school... I'd have to do fundraising, but it's so much easier to do that when you have a school backing you. UNR had a musical theater club last year that put up a successful version of "How to Succeed in Business...," but no one took the helm to keep the club going. I'd jump at the opportunity, but I'm no longer a student. Sucks.
So now I have to sit around until Godspell auditions in June. Time goes by so slowly sometimes.
I get a little annoyed when people copy other productions. The point of directing and designing is to make it your own. True, there are some shows that leave little room for interpretation, but there are others where you have a world of possibilities in front of you.
I love directing. Not nearly as much as I love acting, but every once in a while, I get the directing bug. Like now. I'd really like to try my hand at directing a musical. Snoopy!!! The Musical, to be exact. My trouble is that I have limited time (I'm moving to Los Angeles in September), no venue, and no production funds (musicals are expensive). I really wish I was back in school so that I could submit for a student production and get funding through school... I'd have to do fundraising, but it's so much easier to do that when you have a school backing you. UNR had a musical theater club last year that put up a successful version of "How to Succeed in Business...," but no one took the helm to keep the club going. I'd jump at the opportunity, but I'm no longer a student. Sucks.
So now I have to sit around until Godspell auditions in June. Time goes by so slowly sometimes.


1 Comments:
Sue seemed interested when you mentioned it at the opera. Go for it! I'll help you with whatever you need. Don't be afraid to at least ask for the opportunity!
-A
Post a Comment
<< Home